Builder’s Basic BBQ Sauce Recipe
The basic rib and chicken sauce or glaze. Tangy and sweet. A base barbecue sauce recipe with lots of ways to change it up.
(1) Dead easy
Pork ribs, pulled pork and chicken
A Sauce to Build On
It’s a nice easy sauce as described, but it’s particularly open to modification to your tastes or other uses.
Have a look at the Options & Tweaks section for ideas to make it your own
Keeps up to 3 days in the fridge (probably longer).
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup, any brand
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup apple juice
- 2 TBSP Bulldozer Hogfather Rub
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP oil, canola or rice bran
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
Add brown sugar, Hogfather rub, salt, pepper, vinegar and juice in a small saucepan and just bring to a boil, whisking as it heats.
Add in ketchup, dijon mustard and worcestershire and whisk again.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add oil, whisk and remove from heat. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
Use a brush to cover a grilled or smoked rack of pork ribs, cooked chicken and as a dressing for pulled pork.
Options & Tweaks
- Raise or lower the sweet or the tang by increasing or decreasing the amount of brown sugar and apple cider vinegar
- Hit it with some hot sauce for a little heat. (We recommend some of our Pom Bomb)
- No big deal if you’d rather leave out the garlic
- Go with more of an Asian style by replacing some of the ketchup with hoisin sauce. Alternately, add ginger, soy and use fish sauce instead of Worcestershire
- Add some melted butter. Or honey. Or both.
- For a competition glaze, add an extra TBSP of rub at the beginning and an extra teaspoon of oil plus an 1/8 cup of glucose at the end. This will add extra shine and that hit of sweet flavour.